Don’t you just hate it when you run out of Ziploc bags to store your food? I used to have the same problem and it was really very frustrating.
Fortunately, I discovered a better and more efficient way to store food, and that is by using a vacuum sealer.
What’s so great about it is that you can completely remove air inside the bag and seal it well so the food inside can last even longer in the fridge.
But I also realized that these things are quite pricey so I had to do a lot of research before I finally settled on the VacMaster VP112.
If you’re also interested in this vacuum sealer but are not sure if it’s the one for you, here’s our in-depth review to help you learn more about its features, pros, and cons.
Things To Consider – VacMaster VP112
Before we proceed, let’s first look into the main factors that you need to consider when looking for a vacuum sealer, and a brief discussion of how the VacMaster VP112 stacks up in each category:
Ease of Use and Cleanup
First of all, you need a vacuum sealer that you can easily set up and use. How else can you benefit from it if you don’t even know how to operate it.
Some vacuum sealers are very complicated to use especially the ones that are designed for commercial purposes but you’ll be glad to know that the VacMaster VP112 is really straightforward in its operation.
It only has on/off buttons, along with the Vac and Seal buttons. You can also adjust the vacuum level using the +/- buttons.
When looking for a vacuum sealer, it’s crucial to get the right size otherwise you won’t have much use for it.
If it’s too small, then you’re limited as to the number of food you can seal. If it’s too big, you may just be wasting valuable counter space.
What I really liked about this machine is that it’s large enough to fit any standard size meat, produce or any food that you want to seal. It’s also a chamber type of vacuum sealer which makes it convenient to use.
The chamber size is 12 inches by 11 inches by 5 inches which should allow you to seal game and fish without any problem.
You can use a bag of up to 12 inches by 14 inches in size with this sealer.
Vacuum sealer machines cost upwards of $200 so they require a considerable investment – financially.
You need a machine that will last a long time so you can get your money’s worth over time. VacMaster is one of the most reputable manufacturers of commercial grade vacuum sealer machines.
VacMaster has been around for over a decade and they’ve always been known for reliable high-quality machines.
In the past, many fishermen and home users complained that while the brand is very trustworthy, their machines were very big and heavy.
VacMaster recognized this issue and came up with the VP112. In terms of quality, this machine is top notch.
In addition, it also uses the same motor found in VacMaster commercial vacuum sealers so you’re assured of high performance and durability.
You can use it frequently without working about it burning out too quickly. Its seal bar is also heavy duty and is easily replaceable.
Price is another important consideration and it really depends on your budget.
It’s important to know how much you can afford to buy before you begin your search.
On the other hand, it should not be your only consideration. VacMaster may not be known for cheap products but they are known for heavy-duty machines that are built to last. If your budget will allow you to buy the VP112, you shouldn’t hesitate to buy it.
There are many reasons why the VP112 remains a top choice for restaurants, supermarkets, fishermen and even households:
- It’s very easy to use. You simply put the item you want to seal and choose your desired settings. No need to figure out any complicated steps or processes.
- It’s a heavy-duty vacuum sealer. As mentioned earlier, this machine uses a commercial-grade motor and seal bar. You can use it several times a day every day and it won’t burn out the machine.
- It can bag most food items you need to store. It’s a chamber type of vacuum sealer and its quite big too. This enables you to have flexibility in the kind of food you can seal and store.
- It pays for itself. How much do Ziplocs cost these days? You could very well spend around 50 cents a bag but with the VP112, you’ll only spend around 2 cents a bag. Imagine how much money you’ll save in one year!
- It’s compact. There are smaller vacuum sealers out there but they’re not as durable and efficient as the VP112. While it’s a bit large, it’s also not tall so you won’t have trouble finding space for it in your kitchen counter.
- It’s convenient. Basically, when you have this machine in your kitchen, you are less likely to throw away food and you’ll always have the ingredients you need because sealing them with the VP112 is fun, easy and really hassle-free.
This machine is fantastic but it’s not perfect. Here are its drawbacks:
- Its lid may crack. Over time you may notice that the machine is not able to completely seal your bag. If this is the case, the issue may be its defective lid which you can replace by contacting customer service.
- It’s expensive. The initial cost may seem high for a lot of people, but you also need to consider the amount of savings you get from not having to buy expensive storage/ freezer bags and containers.
- Also, because it’s durable, you won’t have to keep replacing it, unlike if you buy one of those cheap vacuum sealers.
Here are the main features of this vacuum sealer:
- Equipped with a dry maintenance-free two-cylinder piston pump
- Heavy-duty lid and chamber
- Removable seal bar (12 inches) with a positive seal (a 4mm wide)
- Brushed stainless steel body
- Control Panel where you can choose the vacuum level and seal time. It also has a marinate function
- Cycle Time: 30-60 Seconds
- Fits bags that are 12” x 14” or smaller
- Weighs 46 lbs
- Commercial grade motor
- Includes 40 chamber pouches and a user manual
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it possible to control the amount of air in the bag?
A: Yes you can do that with the VP112. Its control panel allows you to choose from 10 to 60 seconds for the pressure/vacuum and you can also adjust the settings for the sealer.
Q: How many bags are included with this machine?
A: The manufacturer website says you will get 40 chamber pouches included with your purchase and they come in different sizes.
Some sellers offer only 30 bags. In any case, you can always order bags specifically for this machine online.
Q: Is it possible to vacuum seal foods that are still hot?
A: It is possible to do so but I don’t recommend it if you’re going to put the item in the freezer.
It’s always best to let it cool at room temperature before sealing. You can also seal frozen foods.
Q: Can I use it to seal several items at a time?
A: The VacMaster VP112 is a heavy duty vacuum sealer with a commercial grade motor. Many people have been using it every day, sealing several items at a time
I personally use it to bag and seal up to 30 food items each week, some days I use it more than other days.
Q: Can I use it to seal any food item?
A: Yes. As long as it fits the chamber without touching the top portion, it should not be a problem at all.
Some users have even reported that they sealed mason jars and pint jars using this machine.
Over the last 5 years, I’ve come across different vacuum sealers.
I have a few friends who own one, and I’ve owned several as well. Without a doubt, these machines are an excellent way to store your food so they don’t go bad quickly and I personally think it’s a good investment for any home.
Would I recommend the VacMaster VP112? Yes, absolutely. It’s built to last, it can handle a lot of different food items because of its large size, and it’s really easy to use.
Even though it’s not cheap, it will last you for a very long time and will pay for itself eventually.